World renowned artist and sculptor, Franco Alessandrini was born in Sansepolcro, Italy in 1944. At the early age of 14, Mr. Alessandrini was recognized as a master artist, beginning his career with his first one man show in 1958. His formal study of art and training was in Florence. He quickly continued building his portfolio and his reputation throughout Italy with his countless exhibitions and winning numerous prestigious awards. It was in 1968 that he began exhibiting his art internationally, winning the first prize in the Tenth Annual Southern Contemporary Arts Festivals in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and in 1970 winning the prize in the Eighth Annual Benedictine Art Awards in New York. In the 1970’s Franco became a permanent resident of Louisiana, traveling back to Italy for shows and commissions. In 1984, he was the Artist in Residence of the Italian Village in the World Exposition held in New Orleans.
Over his long career, Alessandrini has become skilled in all mediums, including: oil, acrylic and watercolor paintings; charcoal, ink and pencil drawings; marble and bronze sculptures. He additionally creates graphic art and print media. He has received international attention for his work on several documentaries
for television and radio.
Currently, Mr. Alessandrini’s works are in private and public collections throughout the United States, Canada, Europe and South America. Some of his major works include: Byzantine Mosaic titled “New Orleans”, permanently installed at the entrance of the Ernest Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, Louisiana; the “Monument to the Immigrants”, Woldenberg Park, Riverfront, New Orleans, Louisiana; the “Columbus Monument”, Baton Rouge, Louisiana; the sculpture of St. Francis of Assisi, Monte Casale Monastery, Italy and the “The Panther Fountain”, Fort Worth, Texas.